Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

42 Is The Ultimate Answer



42 is the answer to the "ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything" according to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.

What a fortunate "accident" when making the Moda Village quilt that the number of houses summed up to exactly 42! The houses are built on solid foundation and will stay there forever.

Another reason for making this quilt was the Scrappy House Block Challenge by Persimon Dreams.


Making quilts has a side effect, scrap bins are overflowing. I have a tendency to keep the tiniest pieces of scraps, you never know when they may come to good use! This challenge was a great chance to put a dent in my piles.

This FOOD fabric by Timeless Treasures was a giveaway prize a few years back. I have already made two charity quilts with the fabrics, and it was wonderful to use the last scraps in this house quilt!


This quilt is planned to be donated to the children's ward at my local hospital. With the situation being as it is now, it is somewhat uncertain when they will be able to receive it.

This is my eighth charity quilt for the year, and number 52 all time for the children's ward at the hospital.

The original pattern of the Moda Village quilt had the houses much closer to each other, but in these times with social distancing I chose to add wider background pieces of scraps from Britten Nummer to keep them further apart. The background fabric also helps counting the houses.

The backing fabric is the cute "Bah, bah, BABY" from Windham Fabrics. I did loopy free motion quilting in an off-white color all over the quilt.


The backing fabric was not wide enough, so I added a strip of matching grey checked flannel on the side. Finished size of the quilt is 51" x 63".


I am very pleased with the resulting "Social Distancing" quilt. It is colorful and happy, and hopefully soon the society will open up again.

I made another quilt right at the time the country was being closed down due to the virus in March, and that was to keep myself sane in the difficult times when the situation was a lot more uncertain. That quilt is shown HERE.

Keep on quilting!

3 comments:

  1. I love these scrappy houses! And the food just makes me think of a whole neighborhood of witches houses like Hansel & Grettle, only not dangerous but fun. This is super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic donation quilt! Hours of entertainment looking at all the scraps you've included. SEW much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun quilt. Your background and blocks are terrific. I just love seeing how different everyone's house challenge comes out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!