Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Meet 'Plaid, Baby!', my latest baby charity quilt.The starting point was all the plaids I had available, and no specific pattern in mind.
These are the first blocks that were made, improv cut&slice with a grey solid as contrast. Then I added a few fussy cut elephant- and bear blocks for the center panel. A green plaid border was the right thing outside the panel.
The size of the quilt was determined by the backing fabric I had available, the fun orange novelty print was perfect for this one. To get the right size I added a 6" border in light yellow and white plaid with cute pinwheels in the corners. Finally a red plaid 4" border to complete it. The binding is a fun orange striped fabric that I have used many times before.
The finished size is approximately 40" square.
Here is a detail picture of the quilting. I had fun doodling butterflies in the negative space!
This is my tenth charity quilt for the year, and 39th all time for the children's ward at the hospital.
Thursday, September 12, 2019
My latest charity quilt is this Jelly Roll Race quilt, made using the tutorial from Jenny Doan at Missouri Star Quilt Company.
The fabrics are not an actual jelly roll, but random blueish fabrics cut in 2.5" strips. The quilt top comes together super fast using Jenny's tutorial.
I opted for a fast and easy quilting design, using the walking foot making organic wavy lines in each strip.
The quilting is easily seen on the back. For the backing I used a sand-colored flannel that is super comfortable. To get the backing wide enough I had to add another piece of flannel, and also added a strip of leaf print cotton in fall colors. The same print is used for the binding, which creates a nice contrast on the front of the quilt.
Now I can finally cross the Jelly Roll Race quilt off my bucket list!
This is my ninth charity quilt for the year, and 38th all time for the children's ward at the hospital.
Tuesday, September 3, 2019
Friday, August 23, 2019
The August challenge in the Island Batik ambassador program (for half of the ambassadors, the others participate in the Beat the Heat blog hop) was to create a quilt using any star quilt block pattern. The only requirement was that the quilt had to be lap size or larger.
I still had enough of these batiks for the center squares of the Friendship Stars. For the star petals I used Island Batik foundations and stash builder rolls. I used 20 different prints from Southern Blooms, and 20 different prints for the star petals. I love it when I can use fabrics from my stash to make new quilts, I hardly ever throw away leftover fabrics!
In addition I used solid white batik for the background and solid grey for the diamonds in between the stars. The design is based on a picture I saw at the Internet.
All the blocks were cut using my Accuquilt Go! fabric cutter, and that is a real time saver! The squares and HSTs are 4" finished.
The piecing and quilting is done with Aurifil 50wt #2024. Walking foot quilting makes up the main design, while I made a "string of pearls", or circles of different sizes in FMQ, in stripes crossing the quilt.
I used Hobbs Heirloom Cotton Batting with Scrim in the quilt sandwich
The finished quilt dimension is 48" x 60".
I used a fun print from Ikea for the backing. The binding is black solid batik.
The quilting is easily visible here where the quilt is hanging over the porch wall.
Today was a beautiful day for a photo shoot, and I brought the quilt with me to a nearby lake.
The sun shining through the quilt showing off the fun print on the back. The sun rays glittering in the lake creates a perfect setting!
The wind isn't always cooperating!
Ready for take-off! Is this the Flying Carpet?
A glorious late-summer day by the lake!
The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik.
Thursday, August 15, 2019
This is my latest charity quilt, from original idea to finished quilt the whole process took less than 12 hours.
It all started with a panel with six cute frogs. I cut the panel into 6" squares, added some green striped fabric and some yellow bubble fabric, and voila!, I had a center panel for the quilt.
An orange small plaid fabric became the inner border, and a cute cartoon frog fabric became the outer border.
I quilted it using my walking foot with a meandering cross hatch pattern with a corn silk colored thread. The binding is a fun orange/multi colored striped fabric. The binding is machine sewn on the quilt.
The whole quilt was finished less than 12 hours from the idea of the quilt emerged. The 39" x 50" quilt will be a good comfort to a sick child at the hospital.
Here's a detail of the fun frog print in the outer border. A whole lot of frogs are having fun bowling!
This is my seventh charity quilt for the year, and 36th all time for the children's ward at the hospital.
Friday, August 9, 2019
My Meadowland scrappy quilt top was completed during my vacation, but the quilting had to wait until I came home.
I had to admit it is not very scrappy, the blocks are big (16" finished) and I only used fabrics from my stash. The colors are bold and bright, the dark blue/navy background is perfect for a charity quilt to a young, adolescent boy, or girl for that part.
The quilting is a simple crosshatch pattern, I feel this is right for this modern quilt.
I found this perfect "quilt holder" in my walk in the forest. The uprooted tree looks like a monster or troll holding my quilt up.
The quilt measures 48" x 64" and is the perfect size for a charity quilt.
There are so my great photo locations in the forest/recreational area. I am very fortunate that it is only a 10 minute walk from my house.
The quilt is backed with a print from Ikea, and the binding is the navy fabric.
This is my sixth charity quilt for the year, and 35th all time for the children's ward at the hospital.