Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Homespun Quilt

 

  My finished Homespun Quilt out on a photo shoot against a dramatic sky. This quilt designed by @modernlymorgan was begun by me in a quilt-along, but it is a very fast quilt to piece, so I finished it long before the QAL was to end.

This is a great scrap buster, I gathered scraps to make a quilt fit for an adolescent boy. The last picture in this blog post shows off the warm, subtle colors of the quilt. The white background is a great contrast to the colorful fabrics. The stars in the design is a nice detail.

I like taking pictures outdoors in nice surroundings, and especially with my trustworthy quilt holder.
 

 

My Homespun quilt is 48" x 64", which is a size I very often make for a charity quilt. It is a good size for the oldest kids in the children's ward at my local hospital.

The quilting is wavy lines made with the walking foot. Backing is a charcoal gingham. 

This is my third charity quilt for the year 2021, and number 67 all time for the children's ward at the hospital.

Keep on quilting!

 

 

 

Sunday, March 21, 2021

Ab Intra - Project Quilting 12.6

 

This is my entry for the last challenge of Project Quilting this season. Ab Intra is Latin and means "from within".

More details from my Instagram post,  here .

Saturday, March 20, 2021

Sunny Tablerunner

 

 

I got a request for a tablerunner that was quite unusal for me; she wanted a yellow fabric on one side and a leafy green on the other side. I have never made a wholecloth quilt before, this was my first time. 

I had a nice piece of a sunny fabric from Island Batik from my time as an ambassador for them. The print has a lot of swirls in orange on warm yellow background. The fabric just begged for a modern quilt design using the walking foot. I quilted straight lines one inch apart. The thread used is Aurifil 50wt in color #5015. I used Thermore batting from Hobbs Batting in the quilt sandwich, that is the thinnest batting I know, and is perfect for tablerunners. Even though the batting is thin, it can do a great deal for definition!

The backside is a leafy green print also from Island Batik. The binding is another green print that works well with the spring feel of the tablerunner. I used Aurifil 50wt in color #2843 for hand stitching binding to the back.

The yellow side is perfect for Easter, and the green side is more neutral and great for spring.

Keep on quilting!


 

Friday, March 5, 2021

Economy Quilt for Charity

 

 

As for most quilters my scrap bins are overflowing. I wanted to do something about it and decided on an Economy Block Quilt. 

Through my quilt guild I have access to plenty scraps, and together with my own stash this ought to become an interesting collection of fabrics. Thanks to my Accuquilt Go cutter the pieces for the Economy blocks were cut in (almost) no time.  


Each finished block is 8" square . The finished quilt is 48" x 64", a great size for a young person.

 


It is quilted with straight lines with the walking foot, and used a variegated red/white/blue thread from Aurifil for the quilting (#3852). With all the different colored fabrics this worked out pretty well.

This is my second charity quilt for the year 2021, and number 66 all time for the children's ward at the hospital.

Keep on quilting!

 


 

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Crazy Butterfly - Project Quilting 12.5

 

My entry for Project Quilting Challenge 12.5 - You're Crazy is the Crazy Butterfly.

A single pink butterfly with gold trimmed wings is surrounded by crazy patchwork. Several of the fabrics have lots of gold in them, that add to the luxury feel of this pot holder.

It is machine quilted with decorative stitches, and hand embroidered elements are added.


Keep on quilting!


Friday, February 26, 2021

Forget Me Not Quilt

 

 

I present to you: My version of the Forget Me Not Quilt top designed by Erin and Sarah of Quilts For Good. 

 

 

The Forget Me Not has been my favorite flower for as long as I can remember. When spring and summer comes these beautiful blue flowers grow like weeds in my garden. The flowers may be tiny, but if you look closely they are lovely works of art.

 

 I long to see flowers like these in my garden, soon!


 

The quilt is constructed as a pixel quilt. The above picture shows the construction process of one of the blocks. The smallest pieces are cut 2" square for the quilt size I chose to make. Finished size for the block is 12" square.

The different blues I used are high quality batiks from Island Batik, these are remnants from my two year period as an ambassador for the company.


 

The finished quilt top is 48.5" x 66.5". It was a joy to piece the top together. The pattern is very well written, and it is to be released March 19th. 

Keep on quilting!