Monday, October 22, 2018

Modern Curves


My latest quilt finish is this baby quilt that is inspired by the quilt Modern Curves by Daisy Aschehoug of @warmfolk .

This quilt was very fast and fun to make, and is a great scraps/stash buster.


I took the quilt out for a photo shoot in the late October afternoon sun. The backing is a fun strawberry print.


Loads of interesting display opportunities in the forest. Nice texture after quilting.

This is my ninth charity quilt for the year, and number 29 all time for the children's ward at the hospital.

Happy quilting!


Monday, October 15, 2018

Needle, Paper, Scissors Challenge


October's challenge was to complete a paper pieced project, foundation or English, that was up to us. The project could be of any size.


I am very fond of foundation paper piecing in spite of all the "waste" of fabric and removing paper from the back when the project is finished. I have done quite a lot of FPP, but never as small and detailed as this. The above picture shows all the pattern parts for the project I chose; the Bitty Eagle block, a pattern by Janeen van Niekerk of Quilt Art Designs.

Everything fits in one A4 sheet of paper. The finished block is 5" square.


For the eagle I used solids in black, white and grey, and a couple of Batik Foundations. The strip set of Vintage Morris provided colors for the eyes and beak of the eagle.


Here is the resulting "portrait" of the Bald Eagle before the paper is removed. It is a bold and proud eagle; I managed to capture the perfect look in its face and eyes.

There were a lot of small pieces in this block, and it took quite a long time to make it look exactly how I wanted.


Since this is a fairly small block, I wanted to "frame" the eagle like it is hanging in a picture frame on the wall. First it got a frame of batik foundations - Bubbles Sahara all around.


I wanted to put the frame on a green wall of batik foundations Bubbles Sprout, and chose to add a shadow around the frame to enhance the eagle a little more.


I used Hobbs Thermore batting, and Aurifil thread for both piecing and quilting. The green background (or wall) is quilted with Aurifil 50 wt in 5016, and the frame with 5013 (see below). Aurifil 2370 was used in the bobbin.


I also wanted to add some thread painting to my piece, to spruce it up. Aurifil 40 wt in 2024, 2175 and 2600 was used for this. and This is the first time I have ever done thread painting. I think the eagle feather looks quite nice at the bottom of my piece.

The binding is Cherwell Copper Vintage, and it matches the fall leaves perfectly.


Here's a detailed picture of the feather, not bad for a first try of thread painting.

The finished size of my wallhanging is approx 12" x 15", and now I just have to find a place for it on my wall.


Thanks to Island Batik, Aurifil and Hobbs for providing fabric, thread and batting for this project.


Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Stash Buster Quilt


October is here, and the season has definitely changed to fall. We have had the first frost, but the last few days really want to hold on to warmer temperatures. What is better to show off the last quilt I made, there's a lot of fall colors here.


Actually, this is a quilt I started "backwards". I pieced the backing first, using a couple of Debbie Mumm prints I had in my stash to start with, and then adding other novelty prints to make a decent sized piece.


Then I cut a lot of 4.5" squares of mostly novelty prints. Some black/white four patches adds a little bit of life to the top, and two stripes of flannel print adds even more to the fall feeling.

For this charity quilt I chose to do simple crosshatch quilting in a brick color thread. The binding is made from a multi color orange striped cotton.


The quilt is fully reversible, and be used on any side depending on the mood of the day.

A lot of novelty prints was used for this quilt, and I am happy to clear away some scraps.

This is my eight charity quilt for the year, and number 28 all time for the children's ward at the hospital.

Happy quilting!