Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2020

A Herd of Horses


I see a herd of horses in the distance...


In these troubled times with social isolation and people being stuck indoors it is great to have a hobby that keeps your mind on other issues.

I dug out a charity quilt "kit" from a box and decided to make an improv quilt top. The fabric I had was two different horse panels and a few matching fabrics in "denim" colors. My vision was cowboys in well-used jeans taking care of the horses.

I cut up the panels in different sizes and added strips of fabrics around them in an improv log cabin style.


White strips of background fabric was added, and some pinwheels appeared.

Making this quilt in an improv style made it essential to work heavily on quilt math. That really kept me sane with all the troublesome news and information flying around.


The quilt top was steadily growing.


I added some rust red fabric in the lower right corner for extra interest.


The herd of horses relaxing on my deck.


During a walk in my neighborhood I discovered this newly constructed playground that would be perfect as a quilt holder, a big spider web!


But, first, after the quilting was done with straight lines with the walking foot, the quilt had to be displayed on my porch wall. Finished size is 51" x 63".


A border of grey checkered flannel was added for extra size, and a brown checkered flannel for backing. That gives a cozy feeling, and maybe the quilt can double as a horse blanket?!


A detail shot of the quilting.


Finally a close-up of the quilt on the "spider web". Even the colors of the quilt match the surroundings!


This is my sixth charity quilt for the year, and number 50 all time for the children's ward at the hospital.


1 comment:

  1. Striking! I have the horse fabric....the one running in the snow. Actually since I’m an avid horse lover and even have a beauty of mine own, I have lots of horse fabric. And over the years have made a few quilts with horse themed fabrics. I do like seeing this one with all the neutrals.

    Have a nice day and I’m heading off to baste my Quilt of Valor. Lol, just remembered that my next quilt coming up is for my farrier for his soon to be baby girl. I want it finished by his next visit. I had made one for the birth of his son a few years back. I appliqué a barn, frolicking horse, black dog, dirt road leading to his barn and a sign saying Farrier next to a fence leading to the barn. Oh, a piglet too. All of creatures found at his home! Yup, this one will have a pony too along with lots of pups. His wife has a home grooming business. I am going to tuck this quilt idea you posted in the back of my mind. I would love making some similar.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!