Pages

Monday, March 6, 2023

What is Love?

 February 1st the 'What is Love' Collab event was released on Instagram. Fifteen designers released one modern quilt block each. During the month I managed to sew all the blocks, it was a great skill builder with curves, applique, foundation paper piecing, HRTs and inset circles.


Fifteen blocks were not enough for a decent sized quilt, in my mind. One of the blocks, Grow Wild by Brooke of Eudaimonia Studio, is a HRT block where you actually make two blocks at a time. Then I had sixteen.

I found a multicolored print in my stash and that gave me three 12.5" blocks  and a few leftover pieces. From the remnants I pieced the background of the block, added the circle that was cut out from another block when making an inset circle, and put in inset narrow strips after a tutorial from Hillary of @entropyalwayswins. My improvised block looks like a planet in space! You can see it in the bottom row of the quilt.

I love taking pictures in natural light, so when there was a pause between the snow showers I got a photo shoot on my snow covered deck. (When is winter going to end?)


The backing is a fun Ikea print from 2016 that I had in my stash. 

The finished quilt measures 48" x 60".


I challenged myself to free motion quilt it on my domestic sewing machine. I chose a design with hearts and loops, perfect for a quilt with lots of hearts in the blocks.


Here's a close up picture of my own designed "planet" block. I don't like to throw away useful pieces, whether it is blocks, strips or scraps. My scrap bins tend to overflow.

The binding of the quilt is a candy striped one in pink, perfect for the quilt. A totally sweet one!

This is my fifth charity quilt for the year 2023, and number 97 all time for the children's ward at the hospital. 


Keep on quilting!

 

 

1 comment:

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!