Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Colorful Quilt History

 I started quilting in 2011, but I have been sewing as long as I can remember. In addition I have been knitting, crocheting and doing all kinds of crafts all my life. Right now quilting is my main activity.

 For the "10 Year Anniversary" I decided to make a quilt that represents fabrics from my whole quilt career.

As for most quilters I get quite a lot of scraps after my many projects. I have severe problems in throwing away scraps, and my scrap bins are overflowing.


I got inspired to make curvy log cabins, using only fabrics from my stash and scraps. The neutral strips are cut 1" wide, and the colored strips are cut 1.5" wide. 

I tried to make each curvy log cabin "ball" different, and kept matching colors within each ball. Novelty fabrics were used as much as possible, and otherwise bright colored fabrics were put in to make the balls perfect. There are lots of animals and other fun stuff in this quilt!
 

 The first layout attempt was carefully stepped on by the cat.

 

 I wonder whether this layout is perfect? 

 

My scrap bins provided fabrics for all blocks except for one, the aqua block, which is made from Island Batik fabrics as a tribute to my two years as an ambassador for them.
 

  Here is the finished top laid out on my deck, a colorful and happy quilt top. There is a black fabric which is remnants from a party clutch I made in 2011, and an apple fabric in the peach ball that I bought this September.

 My whole quilting career is represented!

 

 I love taking outdoor pictures of my quilts, and for this one it was perfect to show off the bright colors together with the fall surroundings.

The quilt is about 47" x 57" after the spiral quilting with Aurifil 50wt Dove.

 

 The quilt also brightens up a new apartment complex.


  The railing on my deck is always a good spot for quilts.

 


 The apple tree in the background is also a good backdrop. All the apples were picked before the photo session.

This quilt will be donated, and it is my eleventh charity quilt for the year 2021, and number 75 all time for the children's ward at the hospital.

 

Keep on quilting!

 

 

5 comments:

  1. beautiful quilt, congratulations on all of the donations 💚

    ReplyDelete
  2. What al ovely idea to document your quilting! I am not sure I could have given it away with all the meaning in it. And the design is so fun with the half circles every other row. Enjoy your finish! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dette ble en nydelig quilt. Regner med du fortsatt har noen rester da.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, how fun to put together a quilt that spans your quilting history and to be able to give it away. I know we can't keep all of our quilts, so I'm glad you got so many lovely photos of it to remember it by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of commemorating your quilting journey with a scrap quilt. I know someone special will enjoy this beauty!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!