Pages

Friday, January 17, 2020

First Finish of the Year

This year I have joined Persimon Dreams Scrappy Nine Patch Challenge, and have already completed my first quilt!

The aim of this challenge is to make a scrap quilt comprised mainly of nine-patch blocks. Finished size should be minimum 45" x 60".


My quilt is put together from scraps of different sizes. I started cutting blocks of 4.5" square, and then went over to cutting 2.5" squares from my smaller scrap pieces. Some of the smaller clocks were fussy cut (gnomes and mushrooms).


From narrower scraps I cut blocks of 2.5" x 4.5" to make a not-so-traditional nine-patch block. The picture above shows the three different blocks the quilt is comprised of.


The winter is strange here where I live, all the snow has melted on my deck, and that gives me a chance to display quilts in daylight. Finished size for my quilt is 48" x 60".

I used a fun raspberry print for the back, it matches some of the blocks on the front.


On the picture above you can see some of the fussy cut blocks of mushrooms and gnomes, in additon to the fun striped binding. The quilting is done in a traditional cross hatch pattern.

This is my first charity quilt for the year, and number 45 all time for the children's ward at the hospital.


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. One can challenge one’s self easily with these parameters quite easily to make a nice quilt. For me, I usually cut my ‘left over’ small pieces fabrics into sizes so I have my own ‘precuts’ on hand. One quilt I am sewing now uses 4.5” x 2.5” inch units and I will have quite a few left over as I wanted a really scrappy quilt. I have been wondering how I can use them and this is a perfect idea!! Love how you intermixed the two different units. Not only size but value.

    I love seeing and learning new things, ideas. Thanks for posting this adorable quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!