Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Project Quilting 11.2 - Team Colors

I didn't participate in this season's first challenge of Project Quilting - Notably Numeric, but I am jumping in on the second challenge - Team Colors.

The only slight problem is that I don't really have a TEAM that I support. I kept wondering what I could make for this challenge. The University I attended many moons ago didn't have any specific colors or big teams at the time.


But, I had joined the student theater where I made costumes for different shows for a couple of years. I have always loved to sew, so this was the perfect place for me when I had to get some time away from the books. I had a great time those years, so I guess that group of people were my TEAM in that respect.

I made a lot of different costumes, from cavemen outfits in fake fur, to ballroom dresses, and I even participated in making a dress of fiber glass!

The costumes were made in so many different colors, so I couldn't choose a set color combination for this project. That's why I settled on the colorful background for my final project.

I included four items in my project, three were appliqued and one stitched.

The first one is a theater mask, only a smiling one because student theater shows are mostly plain fun, not many tragedies there.

The silver needle has to have a dominant spot, because isn't sewing what most of us here are doing all the time?

The banana "ribbon/medal" I have to explain a little bit. In one of the bigger shows where I participated in making costumes there was to be a carnival scene where a banana skirt was an important outfit. All of us joined in and cut out bananas from a yellow foam mattress. A lot of bananas had to be made, that was a real team effort! Together with a cerise ribbon the miniature "play dough" banana made a great ribbon for the opening night of the show!

The last item on my mini quilt is dedicated to my sons and their University. The team colors of that one was Crimson & Cream, and I tried to recreate it in the "sport shirt" in the lower right corner. Unfortunately I didn't have a fabric with only those two colors, you just have to ignore the green in the shirt.

As a finish, the starry binding compliments the mini quilt. Finished size: 7" x 9.5".

I had lots of fun planning an making this one, and look forward to the next challenge.

Thanks to Kim of Persimon Dreams for hosting these fun challenges!

5 comments:

  1. I love your way of finding your team colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! The quilt is amazing. I got my BFA in Theatre Arts. Your quilt represents theatre very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really neat! I love that you put all the different elements in your design. I also admire anyone who is creative enough to make costumes! Wow!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!