Pages

Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Number 100

 I started quilting in 2001 and made my first charity quilt in spring of 2012. My quilt guild is donating quilts to the children's ward at my local hospital, to long-term ill kids. My very first charity quilt is shown here: Walk in the Woods.

During all these years I have kept count on how many quilts I have donated to the hospital, and lately I was getting close to a round number. Here it is: My charity quilt number one hundred to the children's ward at the hospital!



 The quilt is a patchwork of 4.5" square blocks with garden motifs and various domestic and wild animals. I dug up up lots of interesting fabrics and there's a lot to discover in this quilt. 

Finished size of the quilt is 44" x 52". 

It is always great to take pictures of quilts in natural light. Lately we have had very cold weather down to -13.4 °C ( 8 °F) at night, and just barely over freezing point during the warmest part of the day. This has led to a sparkling blue sky, bright sun and gorgeous weather to take a walk in, just remember to stay out of shaded areas.

 

The backing fabric is a blue solid that I bought at Ikea some time ago. It's a shame that they seem to discontinue selling fabric :( 

The quilting was done by myself using the walking foot, with dark green thread in a crosshatch design. Binding is a soft flannel in blue and purple.
 


 Here's a detailed picture of the blocks and quilting. There are lots of details in the blocks.

 


 This was a very fun quilt to make. I've come a long way since my first charity quilt was made 11 years ago. This quilt took three days from start to finish. Chain piecing blocks is a great technique!

I enjoy making these charity quilts, and it gives me a great feeling that they give comfort to children during difficult times. I will not stop making charity quilts, but I will probably take a few months break from them to focus on other projects.

This is my eighth charity quilt for the year 2023, and number 100 all time for the children's ward at the hospital. 


Keep on quilting!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!