Pages

Monday, July 6, 2020

Six Hundred


My latest quilt is the result of overflowing scrap bins. When making quilts there will always be scraps. I took a deep dive into my bins and cut 2.5" squares to the max. I tried to get as much fun looking squares as possible; novelty prints, animals, bright colors, etc.

Some of the cutting was done with the rotary cutter, but most with my AccuQuilt Go cutter. That one eliminates wrist pains.


This is how a part of the 20 x 30 block layout looked laid out on my floor.



I assembled the squares with strip piecing. The above picture shows the rows being connected.


Here's the final result, a very colorful quilt consisting of 600 squares, dimension is 40" x 60".


After the strip piecing bonanza, I did not feel like piecing the backing, so I went searching in my stash and found the perfect red Gingham from Riley Blake Designs. You can see a glimpse of it in the top picture in this post.

A design like this definitely calls out for old fashioned diagonal quilting. A combination of walking foot and Aurifil 50wt variegated thread in red, white and blue (#3852) creates extra life to the quilt.

Binding strips were cut 2" wide and hand stitched to the back. Multi colored, striped binding with orange as the main color fits the quilt perfectly.

What's the status of my scrap bins after this ordeal? No visible change, actually!

This is my thirteenth charity quilt for the year, and number 57 all time for the children's ward at the hospital.


1 comment:

  1. Is there ever any visible change in scrap bins?!? Love your scrappy quilt, and agree that classic squares are perfect for classic diagonal quilting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!