Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Starstruck with Island Batik



September in the Island Batik Ambassador Program is all about stars. You can see stars all over in the quilting world, both in traditional and modern versions. I have used them many times before, but this time I wanted to make something different.


The Ambassadors were free to make any kind of star project, any size. I searched the web and found this free paper pieced pattern of the Interwoven Star, finished size 6".

I used leftover fabrics from the April Challenge , Paisley Dot Brights including a neutral.


These stars seem to be spinning fast, and I decided to make four equal blocks and turn them 90 degrees off from each other to make a table runner or wall hanging. All the piecing was done with Aurifil 50wt in white, color 2024.


I cut 2" background strips for sashing and border. The quilt sandwich was made with Hobbs Thermore batting, and I decided to hand quilt this little project. I happened to have two spools of Aurifil 12wt, white 2024 and pink 2479. These are perfect for big stitch hand quilting. I also used a variegated Aurifil 50wt color 3852 for machine quilting the outline of the stars.


With the low rays of sun in September the hand quilting is clearly visible. I used white in the background and pink in the stars.


I also made two things I have never done before: A flanged binding, and a few prairie points in a matching color for extra interest.


The Starstruck project of September is completed, and time will show whether this one ends up on a table or on the wall.

Until then, keep on quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!