Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2016

A New Charity Quilt Emerged


A couple of years ago I bought two fat quarters on sale that I thought could be used for something. It was not love at first sight, on the contrary the fabrics were not my cup of tea, at all.


The fat quarters were lying around for a long time, taking up shelf space. This week I wanted to do something about it, gathered matching solids and started cutting. Five inch squares were pieced together, and the Veggie Tales fabric and the blue long-legged birds were surrounded by colorful, matching solids.


I found a perfect spot for the photo shoot, an old, red abandoned farm shed. The snow has just melted, and the grass is dead and grey. The quilt is brightening up the location.


Weather-worn wood is a good backdrop for the little charity quilt.  It is approximately 40" by 50", and will suit a young child.


DS2 was my good quilt holder/assistant in the photo session.

This is my 12th charity quilt to the Children's Ward at my local hospital. It feels good to transfer "unwanted" fabric for me to a quilt that will be cherished and bring comfort to a sick child.


Tomatoes, cucumbers and blue birds with red legs and beaks  are looking good together with solid squares. The quilting is swirls and loops done in a rust-colored thread.  The backing is an Ikea fabric with big raspberries. I used an orange/multi-colored striped binding.

Keep on quilting, and Happy Easter!

4 comments:

  1. It's really pretty! And what a great place for a quilt photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and colorful, and going to a good place! Love the photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this will make a lovely charity quilt

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks marvellous, you've pulled those 2 fqs together perfectly with the solids. Thanks so much for linking up at Sew Cute Tuesday today - Chris (guest host) @madebyChrissieD :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!