Pages

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Christmas Came Early


It is only October, and here I am posting my finished Christmas quilt, what's going on? This quilt is made from the blocks designed by Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts. In January this year she started the sew along 'Have a Jolly Little Christmas' with 15 free blocks, the last one published in August. I made all 15 blocks and put them together to make a colorful quilt. All fabrics are from my stash.

The block setting made a long and skinny quilt, so I added a red and a blue border to get a better sized quilt.


I took the quilt out for a photo shoot on a beautiful fall day. My husband is the quilt holder.


The old barn is a beautiful backdrop for the pictures.


Beautiful fall colors in the surroundings.


I used my precious Britten Nummer from Ikea as the backing. For the quilting I had fun with FMQ, a stars and loops pattern on the main part with the white background, and experimenting with new designs (for me) on the red and blue border.


Here is a detailed picture of the quilting. I am trying to get more confident with free motion quilting, and I am going to take a class in "experienced" FMQ in a month's time. I feel I have to get some more practice before that time.


Here is the fabric I used for the binding. It gives the quilt a lovely 'icy' finish.

I have had this fabric in my stash for a long time, as you can see it is an old one from Ikea, designed by Kazuyo Nomura in 2009. 

Now I hope that we will keep this nice fall weather for some time, I don't need snow before December!

Keep on quilting!


2 comments:

  1. Wow this is such a fresh and vibrant quilt with the added value of being Christmas. And what a great job you did on the FMQ. Good luck with your course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful quilt, I am far behind on this one, but determined to carry on. yours is inspiration. Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!